This meal is a simple and nutritious way for kids to eat their vegetables. With the tender crust and tasty cheese, it's a real hit with everyone who samples it.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated breadsticks
- Slice roast in half horizontally; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a skillet over low heat, cook roast and two garlic cloves in 3 tablespoons oil for 40 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Meanwhile, in another skillet, cook spinach, mushrooms and remaining garlic in remaining oil for 3-4 minutes or until soft; drain well. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Place breadsticks 1/2 in. apart in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan, stretching dough slightly so each breadstick is about 13 in. long. Lay one roast half in the center of the dough. Spread spinach filling evenly over roast. Top with other half of roast. Bring ends of a breadstick to the top of the roast, twisting and pinching to seal. Repeat with each breadstick. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160°-170°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Pork Wellington in Country Pork 1996, p70