Slow-Cooker Char Siu Pork
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 5 hours
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine first 7 ingredients; pour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork; turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer pork and marinade to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, 5-6 hours on low or until tender. Remove; when cool enough to handle, shred meat using 2 forks. Skim fat from cooking juices; stir in chicken broth. Return pork to slow cooker and heat through. Top with fresh cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked pork: 392 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 981mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Nov 17, 2018
I loved the spices, especially the ginger root. This pork recipe tasted so good with fresh cilantro on top. We shedded the pork and served it on rolls. Our family loved it! I'll definitely make this recipe again
Feb 1, 2018
This was great! I marinated mine overnight, then after shredding I added some drained pineapple tidbits and diced red pepper, served over basmati rice. Everyone loved it.
Nov 20, 2017
This had nice flavor, especially in leftovers. I didn't have time to marinate it overnight but it was still find to just marinate for an hour or two.
Oct 2, 2017
This is a really good crockpot meal with a very unique - in a great way! - flavor. We didn't marinate it overnight, but rather I just poured half the mixture into the bottom of the crockpot, placed the meat on top, and then poured the remaining mixture over the meat. It turned out fine. It wasn't dry at all and the flavors were balanced, they weren't overwhelming. It smelled AMAZING while it cooked--a nice sweet/spicy scent.We shredded the meat and made sandwiches and I served the liquid alongside to make a sort of French Dip-style sandwich. I think I would try thickening the sauce and pouring that over the meat and rice, if I was serving it that way.
Sep 25, 2017
This was ok, the flavors were much better the next day.