Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast or rump roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Mix first six ingredients. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add water. Pour ketchup mixture over top. Add cookie crumbs. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; keep warm. Strain cooking juices; skim fat. Transfer 4 cups juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 475 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 858mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 10, 2019
Made this exactly the way it said t and it was way to sweet..
Oct 14, 2018
A lot of sauce, didn't have to make the gravy. Very tangy, my husband loved it. I made spaetzle, first time, it went well with it. Maybe less ketchup and ginger snaps, I'm going to experiement next time.
Mar 21, 2018
Although it was quite easy to make, I was a little disappointed with the flavor as I like my sauerbraten to have more of a marinated sour flavor.
Jan 7, 2018
I've made this a few times since the recipe first appeared in 2009. It is very simple to prepare and the Sauerbraten is tender and well-seasoned. This is great with potato pancakes and sweet and sour red cabbage. This recipe is a keeper!
Feb 24, 2017
This was easy and so delicious, I had never made or had this dish. It was very easy and very good Sauerbraten , will make and share it with friends
Oct 12, 2014
It is delish!!!!
Aug 29, 2014
Wow, sauerbraten, the easy way. So good and not the 2 day prep work. Made it just right.
Nov 15, 2012
Not what we were expecting. Maybe too much vinegar, just not sure. We won't make it again.
Oct 16, 2011
Nice variation on the original and pretty easy to put together. I think I used a bottom round roast - that's what was on sale - and it was fine.
Jan 19, 2011
Very good gravy favor with this recipe for a mock sauerbraten. Only thing is next time i would make half the sauce the recipe calls for. The roast was swimming in sauce and i had enough for another whole roast. Being of German background and making sauerbraten from scratch many times this is a easy substitution.