Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add mushrooms and bay leaves. Combine the tomatoes, onion, brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir in cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice meat across the grain; serve with gravy.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts5 ounce-weight: 341 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 339mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch.
Jan 15, 2018
loved this recipe!!
Sep 15, 2013
Easy and delicious!
Jun 2, 2013
My family loved this..
Mar 20, 2013
I am new to slow cooking and this recipe is very easy. Plus the family really liked it.
Dec 16, 2012
We enjoyed this very much. Served Mashed Potatoes and green beans with it.
Nov 3, 2012
No good! Too tangy and sweet!
Sep 20, 2012
My family loved the combination of flavors and I loved how easy it was to make it.
Mar 21, 2012
The ketchup gave it a very tart taste that did not compliment the beef at all - I think it would've been fine with just the tomato paste
Jan 15, 2012
My husband doesn't really care for cooked tomatoes but he enjoyed this meal. Thanks!! I also enjoyed it and looking forward to left-overs!!!!!
Sep 26, 2011
Really enjoyed the flavor of the brisket with the gravy. Added the gravy to mashed potatoes, too, but it ended up being overload. Almost too sweet to have so much of it at one time.