Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, whisk water and beef base; add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Sprinkle roast with pepper; transfer to slow cooker. Drizzle with Worcestershire sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a serving platter; tent with foil. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables. Skim fat from cooking juices. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually whisk in cooking juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cooked vegetables. Serve with roast.
Editor's NoteLook for beef base near the broth and bouillon.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked meat with 1/2 cup gravy: 380 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Feb 12, 2018
We didn't have beef base so I used broth. I also added carrots. I thought the flavor was ok, but my husband loved it. The meat was tender but would have been even more moist if I would have stopped cooking at 6 hours.
Jan 15, 2018
excellent recipe. I made this twice. I tried another recipe in this site. this one beats it by far. The gravy turned out perfect. Best gravy I ever made.
Jan 15, 2018
Love this recipe but want to try it in a pressure cooker. What changes should I make to the recipe/ingredients/cook time?
Jan 9, 2018
very easy recipe and tender beef. The only change I made was to add carrots. Next time I would omit some of the garlic, it became a bit too much once cooked down into the gravy.
Dec 26, 2017
Prefect recipe! I added carrots, potatoes and vidalia onion. Everyone loved it!! Thanks for the great easy dinner...
Dec 17, 2017
By far the best roast I've ever had or cooked! Definitely a keeper!
Dec 14, 2017
Delicious and easy. I cooked mine for 6 hours and it was nice and tender. Gravy was wonderful!
Dec 4, 2017
Everyone loved this. Gravy was delicious. Will make again.
Nov 21, 2017
Enjoyed by all! My son LOVED the gravy! Cooked baby carrots and cut up potatoes with it in a 7 quart slow cooker.
Nov 5, 2017
Excellent 6 hrs high and fantastic gravy. Stretched with 1 cup beef broth.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.