Slow-Cooker Faux Prime Rib Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8-1/4 hours
- 2 pounds small Yukon Gold or medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 6 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional beef broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Microwave potatoes with 2 tablespoons water, covered, on high until potatoes just begin to soften, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker; add carrots. Meanwhile, mix 6 tablespoons softened butter with horseradish, garlic and seasonings; refrigerate half of butter mixture.
- In a Dutch oven, heat remaining 2 tablespoons plain butter over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides; transfer to slow cooker. Add broth and wine to Dutch oven; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over meat. Spread butter mixture over roast; cook, covered, on low until beef is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; tent with foil. Mix flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices. Cook, covered, on high until thickened, 15-20 minutes.
- Cut roast into thick slices. Top with remaining butter mixture; drizzle with 1 cup gravy. Serve with potatoes, carrots and remaining gravy.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked beef with 1 cup vegetables and 3/4 cup gravy: 626 calories, 34g fat (16g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 726mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 48g protein.
Jun 24, 2019
How is this different from a pot roast?
Jan 8, 2018
Oh wow what an herbaceous and tender roast! There was so much flavor filling each bite and the veggies were perfectly cooked. I'm so glad I decided to make this recipe for my family. It's definitely a keeper!