Slow-Cooked Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut roast in half. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown pork roast on all sides.
- Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour sauce over roast and turn to coat. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 202 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Nov 8, 2019
This was delicious! Looking over the previous reviews and in order to use what I had on hand, I did make a few changes. I didn't have apple juice, so I added applesauce - about 3 tablespoons. I also didn't have enough fresh lemons for the zest, so I added zest along with the juice of one lemon. I also added about 2 or 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and about 1/2 of an onion- sauteed. I did use the liquid smoke as well. Excellent!
Jan 7, 2019
Delicious! Will be making this again. No changes needed.
Jan 4, 2018
I made this tonight for the first time and will definitely make it again!! It was delicious and the whole family loved it. I omitted the liquid smoke but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. My roast was larger, about 5.5lbs. I did not double any ingredients - there was plenty of liquid to the roast. I think this also helped in making the roast tender but it did not fall apart. I cooked it on low for 6 hours and left it on the warming temp for 30 minutes. I poured the remaining juices from the pan over the leftovers to ensure they stay just as moist and tender. I think the next time I make this I will saut? a shallot for the sauce and add a little brown sugar. I think the shallot will add to the already great flavor.
Oct 5, 2015
I used pineapple chunks and mashed them a bit. I used just one can and added a cup of water. I followed the rest of the recipe. I served rice on side, using the juice in crockpot, on the rice. Was a nice blend of flavors.
Aug 2, 2014
Nov 25, 2013
Oct 17, 2013
Feb 7, 2013
looking for something different in the slow cooker with my pork roast. This fits the bill. The sauce is sweet and savory... very good!
Feb 23, 2012
I have made this recipe several times. My family loves it! The only change I make is to omit the lemon peel and smoke flavoring. Other than that, I keep it as is. I am never sure how long to cook it however, as the recipe says 6-7 hours and also 4 hours plus standing. I usually cook it the full time, but it always just falls apart. I think I will cut back the cooking time to 4-5 hours and see what happens. Delicious!!
Oct 19, 2011
Will definitely make this again. It's a good, solid recipe. The meat was so tender--it looked nothing like the photo because it all fell apart! I used fresh rosemary, and it might've been a little strong. Otherwise, great.