Slow-Cooked Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place onion and mushrooms in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Rub roast with salt and pepper; cut in half and place over onion mixture. In a small bowl,combine the wine, brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 356 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 45g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Feb 27, 2018
This is a great starter recipe, the meat was fork tender, it just fell apart after 6 hrs. I did add celery, Yukon Gold Potatoes, carrots. I did add flavoring to it a mixed spice by Penzeys. Which was Old World. It was very flavorful
Sep 15, 2017
Tender and earthy in flavor. Would add more herbs for flavor. I made this in a slow oven (275*) and only took 3 hours. Not bad. Easy. Will tweak and redo.
Sep 15, 2017
Jul 20, 2017
Very tender and full of flavor. I did add more vegetables to mine and cooked it in my electric pressure cooker.
Oct 30, 2015
Great starter recipe. You can tweak it by changing the veggies and spices that you have on hand. Love the "broth" ingredients.
Jun 21, 2015
Delicious! Here are my changes: I added diced celery and carrots as well as a teaspoon each of dried rosemary and Greek seasoning because it just didn't seem right to not add any flavor enhancers. After thickening the liquid, I added some browning sauce. My roast was fork tender after 8 hours.
Sep 27, 2014
Delicious pot roast!
Nov 22, 2011
I actually made this with a chunk of venison and it was wonderful! I'm not a fan of wild game and my husband loves to hunt, so I'm always looking for good recipes to use that will take away the wild game flavor. This made the venison delicious! I added baby carrots and chunks of potatoes (didn't put in mushrooms because I didn't have any). I used the beef broth instead of the wine. I also tripled all the seasonings and liquids (since after adding the carrots and potatoes there wasn't enough juice to cover the meat). Wonderful!
Nov 2, 2011
The Red wine really makes this dish superior.
Oct 25, 2011
Nice basic pot roast recipe that I was able to modify to suit my needs. I added some baby carrots and baby yukon gold potatoes to the crock pot so that I could cook my veggies along with the roast.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.