Slow-Cooker Salsa Roast
This is so easy and fast to put together on your way out the door in the morning—and so good when you come home! Try it with rice or on soft tacos, or pile it on hamburger buns. —LaVonne Peden, Olympia, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
Makes8 servings (2 cups gravy)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jar (24 ounces) salsa
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Sprinkle roast with garlic salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; brown roast on all sides. Transfer meat to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine salsa, water, onion, jalapeno and taco seasoning; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-7 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Reserve 2 cups cooking juices from slow cooker; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices.
- Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into salsa mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with 1/4 cup sauce: 402 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 884mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Slow cooker Salsa Roast in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019