Slow-Cooked Rump Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 to 8 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half. In a large skillet, brown meat on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Place carrots and potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with meat and onions. Combine the water, horseradish sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and celery salt. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low until meat and vegetables are tender, about 8 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until gravy is thickened, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 378 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 29, 2018
How do you make horseradish saue
Feb 26, 2018
Amazing! I did tweak it a little. I did double it (the sauce mixture) instead of water I used beef broth, I also salt and peppered the roast after searing it. I also added mushrooms the last half hour when you add the cornstarch. My family loved it!
Jan 17, 2018
Loved it! So easy, tender and full of flavor!
Nov 5, 2017
I don't know if it was the horseradish sauce or the wine vinegar but the gravy tasted like sourkrout >I can eat it but not enjoy it. I expected savory and got sour.
Jun 3, 2014
made this for dinner last night and thought it was pretty tasty. The horseradish gave the meat and vegetables a little different twist from your average roast and brown gravy.
Mar 6, 2014
This is terrible way too much vinegar. Beef is too expensive to do this to it.
Sep 24, 2013
Fixed for my family last night. They absolutely loved it. I did add 1/2 cup more water, for more gravy. Had only extra hot horseradish, so used only 1 fat tablespoon. Should have used more. Try this, you won't be disapointed.
Mar 22, 2013
Sep 30, 2010
The roast was very tender but I didn't like the taste of the horseradish sauce in it! I will make it again but with the exception of using the horseradish sauce.
Feb 14, 2010
This recipe was an absolute hit with the family! Looking forward to making it again real soon.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.