Slow-Cooked Rump Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 to 8 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- In a large skillet, brown roast on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Place carrots and potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with meat and onions. Combine the water, horseradish sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and celery salt; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low until meat and vegetables are tender, about 8 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until gravy is thickened, about 30 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 378 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 14, 2019
I am making this as we speak. Added a packet of ranch dressing
Apr 5, 2019
I love Horseradish with roast beef so I knew this would be a winner. And I was right! I love the tang the Horseradish gave the beef. But I do not like Horseradish on potatoes and carrots, that's why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. Next time the veggies will be cooked separately. But still. . .yum
Jan 12, 2019
What a great meal! I started this too late, so I used a Dutch oven. Baked the roast at 325 with the broth mixture and onions for 3 hours. I did add an extra 1/2 water with a beef bouillon cube, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and only used 2 TBSP horseradish sauce (6-8 TBSP was just too much for me). Bumped up temperature to 350 and added the potatoes and carrots and cooked for another hour. After removing the roast, potatoes and carrots, I put the Dutch oven on the stove-top on medium, added another 1/2 to 3/4 cup water, and then added the cornstarch mixture to thicken. There was just enough horseradish flavor with the reduced amount to taste it without overwhelming the dish. Very unique roast recipe with the red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and horseradish flavors all coming through and a fall-apart roast. I will make this again.
Nov 30, 2018
While I enjoyed this dish I found the vinegar to be strong and the meat a bit dry. I sliced the roast into three pieces, browned them as directed and put into the oven at the high temperature for 20 minutes, then lowered the temperature and roasted the meast for almost three hours. OMG, it was so tender!!
Nov 2, 2018
ok why do you cur it half....buy a smaller roast or a bigger pan..??
Mar 29, 2018
How do you make horseradish saue
Feb 26, 2018
Amazing! I did tweak it a little. I did double it (the sauce mixture) instead of water I used beef broth, I also salt and peppered the roast after searing it. I also added mushrooms the last half hour when you add the cornstarch. My family loved it!
Jan 17, 2018
Loved it! So easy, tender and full of flavor!
Nov 5, 2017
I don't know if it was the horseradish sauce or the wine vinegar but the gravy tasted like sourkrout >I can eat it but not enjoy it. I expected savory and got sour.
Jun 3, 2014
made this for dinner last night and thought it was pretty tasty. The horseradish gave the meat and vegetables a little different twist from your average roast and brown gravy.