Slow-Cooked Pork Roast Dinner
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2-1/2 pounds), halved
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1-3/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced carrots, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a small bowl, whisk the first nine ingredients until blended. Place onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place roast, potatoes and carrots over onion. Pour sauce mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until pork and potatoes are tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables from slow cooker; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked pork with 2/3 cup vegetables and 1/3 cup sauce: 304 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 401mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Sep 27, 2018
For the reviewer who complained that the meat wasn't tender even after cooking overnight, pork loin is very lean, and only needs about 4 hours on Low to be cooked medium (145º-150º). If cooked well done (5-6 hours), it will be a little less moist, although still quite tasty. If cooked beyond that, the meat will be dry, stringy and chewy, and no additional amount of cooking will save it. For a small family (2-3), substitute pork tenderloin and cook it for 2 hours. The potatoes, carrots and onions will need to be jump-started in the microwave.
Apr 13, 2018
When I read the ingredients, I thought I might not like this recipe, but the reviews were good so I tried it. And I am so happy I did! The meat is so tender and moist. The gravy is very tasty, and I think next time I will double the gravy ingredients. Because, there will be a next time!
Apr 12, 2018
Excellent recipe! Pork was so tender and tasty, just fell apart......great for sandwiches the next day..I added noodles made from spaghetti squash and Brussel sprouts about 1 1/2 hours before serving. Really tasty!
Dec 17, 2017
Loved it!! Liked the flavor of the sauce.
Oct 8, 2017
I like this recipe very much. I liked the gravy but it is very sweet. My husband does not like meat dishes that are sweet tasting but I thought I might sneak it by him. I blamed it on the apple cider vinegar and didn't mention the sugar LOL. If you have family members that are picky about it, you might pass on the sugar.
Dec 21, 2016
I made this exactly as stated. The house smelled magnificent all day as this was cooking. The pork fell apart it was so tender. We shredded it in our plates and dipped it in the gravy. Which I might add was superb. I added this to my recipe box and book marked the page as well. Thank you for an easy recipe that was flavourful and eaten by my teenage son who isn't thrilled with eating meat.
Jan 24, 2016
Being an old man living alone, I cut everything in half. It was the absolute best port roast I have ever cooked. The gravy at the end was wonderful. Definitely a super keeper.
Jan 3, 2016
Pork was very tender and full of flavor. I skipped the last step and did not make the gravy at the end to save time. My family thinks it turned out great even without it.
Mar 3, 2015
Great taste. Due to husband's sensitivity to vinegar, I only used 1 T of Balsamic instead of 3 T of cider vinegar. It did the trick, he didn't notice it & LOVED the roast & this is a man who doesn't hand out compliments willy-nilly. Also used fresh baby carrots, unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes, & Brown sugar. Crock pot on high for 6 hours & 2 on low. Was super tender! Next time I will double the sauce for gravy to have plenty for warm ups. TRY THIS ONE!
Feb 27, 2015
Oh my gosh, is this good!!!! Wonderful flavor. Making it again!!!!