Slow-Cooked Pulled Pork
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 8 hours
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds), cut in half
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hickory Liquid Smoke, optional
- 10 kaiser rolls, split
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, paprika, 1 tablespoon pepper, salt, chili powder and cayenne. Rub over roast; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place roast in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the vinegar, broth, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Liquid Smoke, if desired, and remaining pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from slow cooker; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each roll.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 419 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1076mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Jun 4, 2014
This pork has a nice vinegar flavor. I don't think it's overpowering like some Carolina recipes, however. Instead of returning the shredded pork to the slow cooker immediately, I cooled down the cooking liquid and skimmed the fat off the top. Then when I served the pork the next day, I reheated the liquid and doctored it up to our taste. The pork was pretty flavorful on its own, so I wouldn't have had to do that at all. Overall, an easy slow cooked pork recipe.
Feb 27, 2014
Good but too much on the spicy side. Didn't have the taste we were looking for.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.