Slow Cooker Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke, optional
- 8 Hawaiian sweet hamburger buns, split
- Place roast in a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, beer, brown sugar, honey, tomato paste, seasonings and, if desired, liquid smoke; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through.
- Using tongs, place meat mixture on bun bottoms. Replace tops. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 648 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 21, 2017
What is the calorie in take for this
Aug 2, 2016
The DIY "BBQ" sauce was really good. I didn't use the cayenne pepper because my kids don't like the heat, but this was the only thing I changed. The sweetness was perfect.
Mar 20, 2016
We love pulled pork so I've tried many recipes. This one is a keeper. That touch of sweet with the spicy is perfect. I dislike liquid smoke, but I happened to have Spanish smoked paprika which I used to replace 1 tablespoon of regular paprika.
Oct 22, 2015
Delicious, definitely a staple now in my recipe book -
Sep 3, 2015
My kids hated this. Said it tasted "weird". My husband said it was ok but the flavors were off. Won't make again
Jul 8, 2015
This was delicious! My son and daughter in law were here and everyone loved it! Very easy to do in the crock pot.
Oct 16, 2014
Delicious! My whole family liked this! We ate it with shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
Oct 11, 2014
Sweet and hot sauce is awesome!It's like tropical BBQ sauce, love it !