Slow-Cooker Kalua Pork & Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 7 bacon strips, divided
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds), well trimmed
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), coarsely chopped
- Line bottom of a 6-qt. slow cooker with four bacon strips. Sprinkle all sides of roast with salt; place in slow cooker. Arrange remaining bacon over top of roast.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until pork is tender. Add cabbage, spreading cabbage around roast. Cook, covered, until cabbage is tender, 1 to 1-1/4 hours longer.
- Remove pork to a serving bowl; shred pork with two forks. Using a slotted spoon, add cabbage to pork and toss to combine. If desired, skim fat from some of the cooking juices; stir juices into pork mixture or serve on the side.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 227 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 622mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 7, 2019
I used a 4# netted rolled shoulder roast. Made the recipe exactly as written, and my wife and I thought it was awesome! Going to use the left-overs, tomorrow night, for enchiladas or tacos. Super simple recipe.
Jan 29, 2019
This is a really good way to do the pork and cabbage. Delicious with everyday ingredients. Thanks Taste of Home!. Simple and delicious! I have some in the slow cooker as I type.
Apr 29, 2018
I cooked this in my stove top pressure cooker, cooled the meat and juices separately so I could defat both. I then cooked the cabbage. I seasoned it with some smoked salt. Delicious!
Apr 19, 2018
Is it possible that this is "Luau Pork" instead of "Kalua Pork?"
Aug 18, 2017
I had a 5 1/2 lbs bone in Butt so it used the full 10 hrs. I used I tbl of coarse salt, as my sea salt was to fine grained and 1 tbl of Accent (MSG) to cover the whole roast. We try to use MSG whenever possible because of the lower sodium content. Plus it just makes everything taste so much better.The meal was great and it really needs no additional ingredients.
Jul 28, 2017
I make a similar recipe, but I brush liquid smoke on it prior to cooking. The first time I made it, I thought it would be too much, it's not. Try it sometime!
Jul 9, 2017
Very easy and delicious!
Jun 7, 2017
May 24, 2017
We had Kalua pork and cabbage in Hawaii and loved it so when I found this recipe I had to try it. I think it was just as delicious as it was there. So easy to make , fantastic flavor!
Dec 30, 2015
Not having ever tried anything similar, I didn't have any preconceptions of what it would taste like. It was different from my usual pulled-pork recipes, but in a good way. We used pre-cooked strips of bacon, which still gave enough bacon flavor to the dish.