Slow-Cooked Pork Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup pitted dried plums, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1/3 cup Greek olives, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes, optional
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper; transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, celery and onion. In a small bowl, whisk broth and tomato paste; pour over vegetables. Add plums, garlic, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and, if desired, olives. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaves, rosemary and thyme. If desired, sprinkle stew with parsley and serve with potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without potatoes): 177 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Apr 4, 2020
This was so easy and so delicious. Thankyou
Feb 11, 2020
Excellent recipe although I replace the tenderloins with pork shoulder cubes, delete the prunes and replace 1/3 of the broth with red wine with a bit of worcestershire or wine vinegar.
Nov 15, 2017
Great recipe and very delicious!
Oct 9, 2017
I made this recipe today. I made a couple of changes but except for changing the beef broth to half beef broth and half red wine along with using pork shoulder rather than tenderloin. What a terrific stew. I will make this again.
Oct 20, 2016
This was a very creative, delicious recipe. This was my first time making a pork stew, and I absolutely loved this original idea. Very good flavors and seasonings in this recipe.