Slow-Cooked Sweet ‘n’ Sour Pork
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Place paprika in a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a nonstick skillet, brown pork in oil in batches over medium-high heat. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; refrigerate the pineapple. Add the pineapple juice, onion, green pepper, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and salt to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pork mixture. Add pineapple. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. If desired, sprinkle with green onions and serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 312 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 278g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fruit, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
May 20, 2018
We make this dish when we go camping...start it in the morning...go for a bike ride or hike...when we return I just steam some rice and dinner is served! Fast,easy and delicious!
Jan 1, 2018
A mixing bowl works better and is easier to clean than a resealable plastic bag (unless you're feeding the landfill) . As for the paprika, 2 Tbsp plus 1.5 tsp equals 2.5 Tbsp, not so?
Nov 7, 2016
Added some grated ginger and dried chilli flakes to give it some oomph. Was tasty even though the pork fell to pieces and was more like pulled pork
Jun 30, 2014
Jul 28, 2013
We normally love this type of meal, but this was just awful. I followed the recipe exactly and it just did not work for my family.
Feb 17, 2013
This recipe was very easy to make, however, the taste was lacking for me. I thought it was a little bland. Probably won't be making this one again!
Oct 30, 2012
This was so spicy it was inedible. I was so disappointed. I thought about it all day while it was cooking and then it was awful. Way, way too much paprika.
Jun 19, 2012
This was easy to prepare in the morning and let it cook all day...was super flavorful
Oct 19, 2011
I can't believe I went to all this effort to be rewarded with a dish that tastes like a Lean Cuisine. Not to knock Lean Cuisine, just that it costs $3 and takes 5 minutes and this takes 6-8. Hours.
Apr 17, 2010
IT was alright. It tasted really good in the bites with pineapple chunks becauseit gave it flavor. otherwise the sauce itself was kind of bland.. not sure what it needed to spice it up. surely not more paprika, though!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.