Quick Homemade Sweet-and-Sour Pork
Total TimePrep : 25 min. + marinating Cook: 10 min.
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Set remaining marinade aside.
- Drain and discard marinade from pork. In a large skillet, cook pork in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on all sides or until meat is lightly browned; drain. Add the onion, carrots, green pepper, and ginger. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until pork is tender. Add reserved marinade. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Stir in pineapple. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 379 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 603mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 26, 2018
Flavors were good. Only changes I made were to add few crushed pepper flakes and coated meat with corn starch before browning.
Oct 18, 2016
Easy and flavorful. I will stick with apple cider vinegar and add a dash of hot pepper flake next time. Sauce was also a bit thin so I mixed into marinade 2 tsp of corn starch to thicken.
Aug 27, 2016
Adjust the vinegar to 3 Tbsp. I used rice vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar. Be sure the brown sugar is packed.
Oct 17, 2014
Too much vinegar for our taste.
Jul 30, 2014
Excellent flavor! I added a shake or two of hot pepper flakes.
Feb 16, 2013
Loved it, loved it...easy to make and great warmed up for a second meal.
Jan 31, 2013
IS SO GOOD, MY HUSBAND AND I WE LOVE IT WE ARE GOING TO MAKE IT OVER AND OVER THANK YOU SO MUCH. MRS SANDRA E. SMITH
Jan 31, 2013
The sauce had a very heavy vinegar taste and was very thin.
Jan 31, 2013
This was great but almost a little too vinegar-ie. :) I used chicken for the recipe that I tossed with some corn starch first. I microwaved my onion, peppers, and carrot in the microwave with a tblsp of water for about 5 minutes before i stirred them in to make them a little less crunchy. Otherwise, it was awesome. My son and hubby said to definately make again!
Jan 30, 2013
I used leftover pork roast. I think it would have been better with fresh pork.