Asian Slow Cooker Pork
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Sliced green onions, optional
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix garlic, salt and pepper. Cut roast in half; rub with garlic mixture. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown pork in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker; add bay leaves.
- In a small bowl, mix hot water and honey; stir in soy sauce, vinegar and spices. Pour over pork. Cook, covered, on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork from slow cooker; keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring twice.
- Coarsely shred pork into bite-sized pieces; serve with sauce over rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and, if desired, green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without rice): 203 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 27, 2016
this was fabulous!
Jan 17, 2014
Family really enjoyed this one! It's a keeper!!
Jan 11, 2014
I'm confused! Isn't it usually 4-5 hours on high? Wish me luck I'm going to make this and cook it for 8 hours on low
Aug 13, 2012
Very tasty! I didn't have any cloves, but I added freshly grated ginger to the sauce while cooking. DELISH!
Mar 17, 2012
Really good. I served it with Jasmine rice.
Jan 1, 2012
Ths dish was great. . . good flavor, east to prepare. My family loved it.
Jul 6, 2010
Way too strong cloves!! And, I would suggest brining the pork roast first. Mine was so dry that it just crumbled apart. Really yucky - we threw away the leftovers.
Jan 22, 2009
My family loved this recipe! Our house was filled with a wonderful aroma. Even our guest from South Korea loved it