Asian Slow Cooker Pork
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Sliced green onions, optional
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Mix garlic, salt and pepper. Cut roast in half; rub with garlic mixture. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown pork in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker; add bay leaves.
- In a small bowl, mix hot water and honey; stir in soy sauce, vinegar and spices. Pour over pork. Cook, covered, on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork from slow cooker; keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring twice.
- Coarsely shred pork into bite-sized pieces; serve with sauce over rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and, if desired, green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without rice): 203 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 27, 2016
this was fabulous!
Jan 17, 2014
Family really enjoyed this one! It's a keeper!!
Jan 11, 2014
I'm confused! Isn't it usually 4-5 hours on high? Wish me luck I'm going to make this and cook it for 8 hours on low
Aug 13, 2012
Very tasty! I didn't have any cloves, but I added freshly grated ginger to the sauce while cooking. DELISH!
Mar 17, 2012
Really good. I served it with Jasmine rice.
Jan 1, 2012
Ths dish was great. . . good flavor, east to prepare. My family loved it.
Jul 6, 2010
Way too strong cloves!! And, I would suggest brining the pork roast first. Mine was so dry that it just crumbled apart. Really yucky - we threw away the leftovers.
Jan 22, 2009
My family loved this recipe! Our house was filled with a wonderful aroma. Even our guest from South Korea loved it