Mushroom-Beef Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked whole wheat spaghetti
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, broth, parsley, brown sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 115 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Sep 22, 2016
mpesci you can reduce the salt or leave it out completely if you like.
Sep 21, 2016
What can I use instead of 1 teas. salt? Mrs. Dash? need low sodium sauce.
Feb 21, 2015
This was nothing special. My husband and I thought it tasted just like a particular chunky jar sauce that I use with my own added ground beef. Really didn't notice the mushrooms much. Easy and makes a lot but needs more flavor.
Mar 12, 2010
This was great! The whole family loved it!
Apr 27, 2009
This is a good crockpot spaghetti sauce. I was surprised there was no garlic in the ingredients list; I may add some next time.
Jan 12, 2008
This is the best sauce I have ever made and when I serve it I get tons of compliments. So easy to prepare and great flavor. I add pork to it sometimes also. GREAT!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.