Mushroom-Beef Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked whole wheat spaghetti
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, broth, parsley, brown sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 115 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 22, 2016
mpesci you can reduce the salt or leave it out completely if you like.
Sep 21, 2016
What can I use instead of 1 teas. salt? Mrs. Dash? need low sodium sauce.
Feb 21, 2015
This was nothing special. My husband and I thought it tasted just like a particular chunky jar sauce that I use with my own added ground beef. Really didn't notice the mushrooms much. Easy and makes a lot but needs more flavor.
Mar 12, 2010
This was great! The whole family loved it!
Apr 27, 2009
This is a good crockpot spaghetti sauce. I was surprised there was no garlic in the ingredients list; I may add some next time.
Jan 12, 2008
This is the best sauce I have ever made and when I serve it I get tons of compliments. So easy to prepare and great flavor. I add pork to it sometimes also. GREAT!!