Sweet & Smoky Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/3 cup liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 10 hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients; rub over roast. Place roast in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Discard cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks; return to slow cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce; heat through. Serve on buns. To make ahead: In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients; rub over roast. Place roast in a large resealable plastic freezer bag; seal bag and freeze. To use, place roast in refrigerator 48 hours or until completely thawed. Cook and serve as directed. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 436 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 827mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Mar 14, 2018
Excellent recipe! Followed the recipe ingredients wise. Did use plastic gloves to spread rub so my hands would not smell all day of spices. House smelled great! Set aside juices while shredding, drained fat, and returned juices to shredded pork. Did not add bbq sauce as both hubby and I do not like sweet. Added a bit on the side to taste for each of us. Definitely a keeper!
Sep 4, 2017
This recipe is FANTASTIC! It's so easy to assemble and the flavour is amazing! The whole family gobbled this up and so there wasn't much left over!
Jul 4, 2017
Very tasty pulled pork. Very tender and easy to pull. I didn't add the barbecue sauce, I served it on the side so everyone could add it to their own taste.
May 19, 2017
This is bar none the best pork I have ever made. I used a mesquite liquid smoke and the meat had amazing flavor on it's own. Very tender! The only thing I did differently was to keep some cooking juices in it to keep it moist. I didn't add the bbq sauce so that people could choose their own. I brought it to a cub scout function. Delicious!
Jan 29, 2016
This is amazing! I can stop searching for the BEST PULLED PORK EVER now. I'm cooking up 40lb of it for our Cub Scouts!
Mar 2, 2015
I've tried a number of pulled pork recipes and always was disappointed in some way. Not this time! This is a keeper! Although, even washing several times after rubbing the seasonings into the roast, I could smell the seasonings on my hands all day at work. What a way to get the appetite going! :-)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.