Spiced Pulled Pork Sandwiches
This pulled pork is tender and has a fabulous spice rub on it. It's my sweetie's favorite meal, and I love that it is so easy. You may add more or less salt to taste. —Katie Citrowske, Bozeman, Montana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds), halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- 10 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Barbecue sauce
- Sliced jalapeno pepper, optional
- Mix seasonings; rub over pork. In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown pork on all sides. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- In same pan, cook and stir onions over medium heat until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add water; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. If desired, stir in liquid smoke. Add to pork.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours. Remove roast; discard onion mixture. Shred pork with 2 forks; return to slow cooker and heat through. Serve on buns with barbecue sauce and, if desired, jalapeno slices.