Cuban Pulled Pork Sandwiches
I lived in Florida for a while and loved the pork I ate there, so I started making it for myself. The flavorful meat makes amazing Cuban sandwiches, but you can also use it in traditional pulled pork sandwiches or tacos. —Lacie Griffin, Austin, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum, optional
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 to 6 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) French bread
- Yellow mustard, optional
- 16 dill pickle slices
- 1-1/2 pounds thinly sliced deli ham
- 1-1/2 pounds Swiss cheese, sliced
- In a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker, combine first 9 ingredients. Add pork; cook, covered, on low until tender, 8-10 hours. Remove roast; shred with 2 forks. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook meat in batches until lightly browned and crisp in spots.
- Cut each loaf of bread in half lengthwise. If desired, spread mustard over cut sides of bread. Layer bottom halves of bread with pickles, pork, ham and cheese. Replace tops. Cut each loaf into 8 slices.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 619 calories, 31g fat (13g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 1257mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 50g protein.
Originally published as Mojo Pulled Pork in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017