Cubano Pork Sandwiches
When a hungry crowd’s coming over, we plan a day ahead to make our juicy pork sandwiches. I call the sauce "mojo" because the zingy flavors are magic.—Theresa Yardas, Sheridan, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 1-3/4 hours + marinating Cook: 8 hours
- 1/3 cup ground cumin
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (6 to 7 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 loaves unsliced French bread (1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, mix the first 5 ingredients. Cut roast into thirds; rub with oil. Rub spice mixture over meat; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate, covered, 24 hours.
- In a large saucepan, combine onion, wine, juices, bay leaf and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes. Strain sauce, discarding onion and seasonings.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides; drain. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour sauce over meat. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with 2 forks. Return pork to slow cooker; heat through.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Split bread horizontally. Hollow out bottoms of loaves, leaving 3/4-in. shells. Spread relish and mustard inside shells. Layer with meat and cheese. Replace tops.
- Wrap sandwiches tightly in heavy-duty foil. Place on baking sheets. Bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Cut each crosswise into 12 slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 368 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.