Caribbean Chipotle Pork Sliders
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce plus 3 tablespoons sauce
- 3/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 20 Hawaiian sweet rolls, split and toasted
- Place onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place over onion. In a small bowl, combine chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, barbecue sauce, water, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with 2 forks. Return pork to slow cooker; heat through.
- For coleslaw, in a large bowl, combine cabbage, mango, pineapple, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Place 1/4 cup pork mixture on each roll bottom; top with 2 tablespoons coleslaw. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 265 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Jul 2, 2019
Very easy to prepare. I served it on sweet potato buns, and it was absolutely delicious. I left out the cilantro in the slaw, as I am not a fan, and it was still very tasty. I will make this again for sure!
Apr 21, 2018
Delicious! Pork was tender and full of flavor. The slaw if a must have for that tangy crunch. I'm not a fan of Cilantro, but that's an easy fix. I will be making this again!