Cuban-Style Pork Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 7 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 10 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 whole dill pickles, sliced
- Place onion wedges and broth in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the parsley, 5 garlic cloves, vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, cumin, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper; rub over pork. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove meat; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard and remaining garlic and lemon juice; spread over buns. Layer bun bottoms with pork, cheese, sliced onion and pickles; replace tops.
- Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill until buns are browned and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 415 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 943mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein.
May 21, 2018
I used some leftover slices of smoked pork and followed the sandwich recipe, using a panini maker to grill them. So good! I can’t wait to make these again. Confirming the sauce was quite special.
Oct 21, 2014
May 8, 2013
May 7, 2012
Nice change of pace! The sauce makes it!
Nov 17, 2011
Sooo good! Wonderful flavor!
Oct 20, 2011
Delicious!!!! These were soooo tender and juicy! YUMMY!!!