Italian Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium green or sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, combine the fennel seed, steak seasoning and cayenne if desired. Cut roast in half. Rub seasoning mixture over pork. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Place in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peppers, onions and tomatoes; cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup meat mixture on each bun.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 288 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 454mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Dec 17, 2013
I didn't like the smell or the taste of this. Oddly my son didn't complain. Husband was out of town, so not sure what his thoughts on this would of been. I had to add giarderia to the sandwiches just to make it taste good. I did NOT go back for seconds like I usually do.
Mar 5, 2013
Absolutely delicious and a huge hit with my husband! I followed the recipe as written, with the exception of adding only half the amount of fennel seed. To serve, I added melted mozzarella on top of the pork. Next time, I will add some garlic to the slow cooker as well.
Aug 10, 2012
very easy to make & has excellent flavor
Nov 18, 2011
Seasoning just too much.
Aug 20, 2011
Very tasty. I omitted the fennel and it was good.
Aug 12, 2011
This was really good! DH and I really liked it!
Aug 12, 2011
The meat was really good and moist and I loved the mix of onions and peoppers. I would modify the seasoning mix -The fennel was way too over powering.
Aug 12, 2011
This is the best pulled pork I have made and it was so easy!
Aug 11, 2011
Easy and delicious!
Aug 10, 2011
I made this for a birthday party and it was divided on whether you liked it or not. Several people had been expecting the pork to be BBQ pork and were surprised by this dish. I really enjoyed how moist and flavorful the sandwich tasted. The fennel seeds added a nice flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.