Italian Turkey Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (6 pounds), skin removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 12 kaiser or hard rolls, split
- Place turkey breast in a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Add onion and green pepper.
- Combine the chili sauce, vinegar, oregano and bouillon; pour over turkey and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until turkey is tender.
- Shred turkey with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each roll. Freeze option: Place cooled meat and juice mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 374 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 724mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 49g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 23, 2017
I was skeptical about slow cooked pulled turkey breast, but these sandwiches were great. Also you can freeze the leftovers for later!
Jan 17, 2017
Made this to go along with soup night. Very good and came out super tender. I did add a few pepperoncinis as suggested by other reviewers. Next time I may try a Carolina vinegar based BBQ sauce as a topping for the sandwiches.
Sep 9, 2015
I was disappointed that the turkey was not as flavorful as expected. I put it in the freezer in the hopes I can reinvent it in some way, but I really don't have any idea how. I would not make it again as written.
Jul 5, 2015
Very very good!
Jun 20, 2015
I love slow cooker recipies. This one was a big hit with my family. I will definitely have to make this again.
May 25, 2015
Absolutely delicious! I had a boneless turkey breast that was 3 lbs so I cut all ingredients in half and cooked on low fo 3 hours in my 4 quart crockpot. The meat turned out perfect. My family has already requested that I make it again.
Nov 4, 2014
My husband and family loved these sandwiches. Wonderful flavor, hearty sandwich filling, moist turkey--overall a real winner. I served the shredded turkey with my homemade hamburger buns and we had a feast!
Oct 10, 2014
It was good, cooked mine for 10 hours since I couldn't make it home earlier, it turned out fine, needed a little more flavor, made 6 sandwiches and enough to send home with my son for a few days!
Mar 23, 2014
I agree with the other reviews. Delicious. Used potato dinner rolls instead of the kaiser rolls, and I really enjoyed it. It was perfect for brunch. I didn't add anything but used a frozen bone in turkey breast so cooked for 10 hours instead of 5. I added the sauce and then strained off the extra by shredding the turkey right into a colander.
Jun 4, 2013
So yummy & flavorful. I used boneless/skinless chicken breast instead of the turkey & I added a can of Italian diced tomatoes. Delicious. I also agree with the other comments... really good with peperoncini's.