Italian Turkey Meatballs
What's not to love about moist and tender homemade Italian meatballs? Because they're made with lean turkey, they're lower in saturated fat, too! —Mary Berg, Lake Elmo, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 3 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked pasta
- Additional minced fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat broiler. Combine bread and milk in a large bowl; let stand until liquid is absorbed. Add next five ingredients, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; place on a greased rack of a broiler pan. Broil 5-6 in. from heat until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes.
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, mix the next six ingredients and remaining Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add bay leaves and meatballs; gently stir into sauce.
- Cook, covered, on low until meatballs are cooked through, 4-5 hours. Discard bay leaves. Serve with pasta; if desired, sprinkle with additional parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Freeze option: Omitting additional parsley and Parmesan cheese, freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little water if necessary. If desired, sprinkle with additional parsley and Parmesan.
Nutrition Facts3 meatballs with 2/3 cup sauce: 239 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Italian Turkey Meatballs in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.