Simple Pasta Sauce
This is a simple pasta sauce that you can use for more than just spaghetti. Puree this recipe for pizza sauce or a great dipping sauce. I also like to make a variation for bruschetta by omitting the olive oil, using fire-roasted diced tomatoes and simply combining the uncooked ingredients. Refrigerate for at least two hours before serving on toasts. —Deborah Markwood, Chester, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add brown sugar and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced. Remove bay leaf.