So-Easy Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makesabout 2-1/4 quarts
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomato sauce, tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, seasonings and beef mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti; sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 125 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 13, 2018
This is an easy and delicious recipe. I prefer to use crushed tomatoes in place of the tomato sauce. I typically cook the meat ahead of time and freeze it so that it can be thawed overnight and then just dumped in the slow cooker for either sloppy joe or the sauce recipe before I leave for work in the morning. If I'm cooking the meat the same day I omit the celery. It's not bad, I just don't think it adds anything to the sauce and it creates extra work.
Mar 28, 2017
This is my go too recipe. Wonderful. Will make it again.
Jan 19, 2012
I've tried many different spaghetti sauce recipes and this one is by far the best. Since I'm home most days I've made this recipe on the stove, but it is equally as good in the slow cooker. Will definately keep making this one. It freezes well too.
Jul 27, 2011
Made this for my husband last night. He LOVED it and so did I. I added canned mushrooms and it was so delicious!
Jul 26, 2011
Because there are only the two of us at home, I halved everything. This was delicious and I will definitely make it again.
Jun 1, 2011
This was fantastic & easy. Thanks for a great recipe! It was a great way to use frozen tomato juice from the garden. That gave it an extra special flavor.
Apr 12, 2011
Excellent taste. Made it for extended family this past Sunday. Got great praise for the taste.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.