Slow-Simmering Pasta Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, bay leaves, oregano, dried basil, salt and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Discard bay leaves; stir in half of the fresh basil. Serve with pasta. Top with remaining basil.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without pasta): 327 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1392mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 10, 2016
This sauce is now the only sauce I use. I mix up the meat I use in it from sweet to hot ground Italian sausage or meatballs. Love this! Never using jar sauce again. I usually simmer it on the stove instead of cooking in the slow cooker.
Apr 23, 2015
This sauce is excellent. I only used half the amount of oregano but other than that didn't change anything.
Apr 11, 2015
This is a copy-cat recipe from Iowa Girl Eats.
Dec 7, 2014
Nov 23, 2014
My family thought it was terrific. I will reduce the amount of bay leaves next time, though. Also thought it was better made a day before serving. I made 1 1/2 times the recipe because I wanted leftovers to use in mostaccioli for my husband's birthday. It was stupendous in that recipe!
Nov 17, 2014
Prego is better & less expensive to make.
Nov 16, 2014
This is a great recipe! I leave out the brown sugar for less sweetness. It also good for lasagna sauce too.
Nov 15, 2014
This is almost exactly the recipe I've used for years - the one pasta sauce I go to anymore! The Italian sausage rather than plain ground beef does it for me. Thanks for reminding me, Samantha Vicars - it's time to make this again!
Nov 14, 2014
wonderful taste from Italy
Jul 20, 2014
I enjoyed this recipe. I did not add the brown sugar and tasted great.