Slow-Simmering Pasta Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, bay leaves, oregano, dried basil, salt and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Discard bay leaves; stir in half of the fresh basil. Serve with pasta. Top with remaining basil.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without pasta): 327 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1392mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
May 10, 2016
This sauce is now the only sauce I use. I mix up the meat I use in it from sweet to hot ground Italian sausage or meatballs. Love this! Never using jar sauce again. I usually simmer it on the stove instead of cooking in the slow cooker.
Apr 23, 2015
This sauce is excellent. I only used half the amount of oregano but other than that didn't change anything.
Apr 11, 2015
This is a copy-cat recipe from Iowa Girl Eats.
Dec 7, 2014
Nov 23, 2014
My family thought it was terrific. I will reduce the amount of bay leaves next time, though. Also thought it was better made a day before serving. I made 1 1/2 times the recipe because I wanted leftovers to use in mostaccioli for my husband's birthday. It was stupendous in that recipe!
Nov 17, 2014
Prego is better & less expensive to make.
Nov 16, 2014
This is a great recipe! I leave out the brown sugar for less sweetness. It also good for lasagna sauce too.
Nov 15, 2014
This is almost exactly the recipe I've used for years - the one pasta sauce I go to anymore! The Italian sausage rather than plain ground beef does it for me. Thanks for reminding me, Samantha Vicars - it's time to make this again!
Nov 14, 2014
wonderful taste from Italy
Jul 20, 2014
I enjoyed this recipe. I did not add the brown sugar and tasted great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.