Quick Picante Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and halved
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- Tortilla chips
- In a blender, combine the first 10 ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Serve with tortilla chips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 32 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Apr 18, 2019
I made this sauce today and followed the recipe exactly. It was delicious but I think next time I will use a little less chili powder. But that is just me. It has a wonderful flavor. The cilantro flavor is predominant but I love cilantro. I used half a large (about 3-inch long) fresh jalapeno, halved and deseeded and deribbed. It did not make the sauce hot at all. For more heat, leave in some of the seeds. I thought it was a delicious picante sauce and will be making it again. Volunteer Field Editor
Dec 15, 2013