Big-Batch Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makes38 servings (1 cup each)
- 8 bacon strips
- 8 pounds ground beef
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, diced
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 16 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Cook beef over medium heat in drippings until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove beef and keep warm.
- In the same pot, saute the onions, peppers and mushrooms in oil for 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Crumble bacon; return bacon and beef to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 268 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Mar 25, 2015
This is just disgusting! Who ever heard of putting vinegar in Spaghetti Sauce? Why would Taste of Home even print such an abomination? This is beyond awful - it's a waste of money and food. This recipe is so wrong on so many levels it's not even funny. I found this in a very old copy of the magazine - printed in 2008. I am of Italian decent and I am just appalled that anyone could actually think that this is worth making. If you know anything about cooking you know that you never put flour in Spaghetti Sauce let alone vinegar or Worcestershire sauce.
May 28, 2009
My husband is not a real fan of spaghetti, BUT using this recipe he doesnt complain now...It was a GREAT hit....
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.