Slow-Cooked Lasagna Soup
Every fall and winter, our staff has a soup rotation. I have modified this recipe so I can prep it the night before and put it in the slow cooker in the morning. My colleagues love it! —Sharon Gerst, North Liberty, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 5 hours + standing
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each ) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (8 ounces each ) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 lasagna noodles, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup cubed or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and minced fresh basil, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion and carrots to same skillet; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until softened. Stir in mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Cook, covered, on low 4-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Add lasagna; cook 1 hour longer or until tender. Stir in spinach. Remove insert; let stand 10 minutes. Divide mozzarella cheese among serving bowls; ladle soup over cheese. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 266 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Lasagna Soup in Taste of Home Skinny Slow Cooker
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.