Slow-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 142 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 11, 2018
Made it with Johnsonville Sweet Italian sausage. Fantastic! I have made it twice, once with a little extra brown sugar. Both versions great. Used leftover sauce on french bread and garlic bread with mozz/provolone cheese for pizzas.
Nov 27, 2015
Purely a hit!
May 21, 2014
This was good, but not great. A little too acidic for our tastes, but a little more brown sugar could likely take care of that. I will say that it was a nice thick sauce that coated pasta nicely.
Dec 7, 2013
Easy and delicious!
Apr 28, 2013
Great recipe, had enough to freeze for another meal
Feb 27, 2013
I made this, using 93% lean meat, adding 8 oz. of chopped mini-portabello mushrooms. I used all fresh herbs and Hunts brand tomato products. My family loved it and wants it ALL the time now! It gave a new meaning to "spaghetti". Thanks for giving me a new way to cook an old favorite!
Dec 24, 2012
I was not a fan of sausage until I tried this. It was very good! I've made it twice so far, once in the crock pot and once on the stove. Thank you for reforming me!:)
May 26, 2012
a very flavorful sauce
Mar 12, 2012
Very hearty but mine came out bland and watery. I prefer smooth sauces so I put the tomatoes in the blender. That may have made it watery. Even the hamburger that I cooked with the onion was bland.
May 1, 2011
This is the best spaghetti sauce I have ever made..My mother request that I make it often!! Very good!