Slow-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 142 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Apr 11, 2018
Made it with Johnsonville Sweet Italian sausage. Fantastic! I have made it twice, once with a little extra brown sugar. Both versions great. Used leftover sauce on french bread and garlic bread with mozz/provolone cheese for pizzas.
Nov 27, 2015
Purely a hit!
May 21, 2014
This was good, but not great. A little too acidic for our tastes, but a little more brown sugar could likely take care of that. I will say that it was a nice thick sauce that coated pasta nicely.
Dec 7, 2013
Easy and delicious!
Apr 28, 2013
Great recipe, had enough to freeze for another meal
Feb 27, 2013
I made this, using 93% lean meat, adding 8 oz. of chopped mini-portabello mushrooms. I used all fresh herbs and Hunts brand tomato products. My family loved it and wants it ALL the time now! It gave a new meaning to "spaghetti". Thanks for giving me a new way to cook an old favorite!
Dec 24, 2012
I was not a fan of sausage until I tried this. It was very good! I've made it twice so far, once in the crock pot and once on the stove. Thank you for reforming me!:)
May 26, 2012
a very flavorful sauce
Mar 12, 2012
Very hearty but mine came out bland and watery. I prefer smooth sauces so I put the tomatoes in the blender. That may have made it watery. Even the hamburger that I cooked with the onion was bland.
May 1, 2011
This is the best spaghetti sauce I have ever made..My mother request that I make it often!! Very good!