Slow-Cooker Pasta e Fagioli
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, cabbage, celery, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low until vegetables are tender, 7-8 hours.
- Stir in pasta. Cover and cook on high until pasta is tender, about 30 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups (calculated without cheese): 258 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 11, 2018
Very good and hearty soup, I added a little red pepper and a tablespoon on store bought pesto giving it more flavor. This will be a regular in our home.
Feb 15, 2018
This soup is delicious, but as to it getting too thick- the broth will be absorbed by the pasta and beans the longer it sits. So you would need to this it out with some extra broth. I would skip the cabbage. Carrabba's minestrone includes cabbage, in that soup it's considered a key ingredient. But not in this one.
Feb 15, 2018
I got the inside scoop straight from an OG chef - and this is not even close to being a copycat! As loverton says - OG doesn't have cabbage in their soup - but they DO have V8 juice (1-12oz can) and 2 kinds of beans. (red kidney & great northern-1 can each with liquid) 1-15oz can tomato sauce, 1T white vinegar. Bon Appetit.
Feb 15, 2018
Tastes good but it is not like Olive Garden's. They don't have cabbage in their soup.
Jan 19, 2018
I followed the recipe to a "T" and ended up with something that was more of a side dish rather than a soup as the liquid had evaporated. The next day I added another 36 oz container to a small portion of the soup (?) and again, the liquid was absorbed or evaporated. I prefer soups in which the meat and veggies are swimming in a liquid. What went wrong here?
Jan 29, 2017
This was easy to make and the whole family enjoyed. I didn't have any cabbage but other than that I followed the recipe. I will definitely make again.
Jan 21, 2017
This was good but a little to thick .I added a few other spices to it and used italian sausage . Next i will add more liquid to it .
Nov 17, 2016
Really, really good and very much like the restaurant version! I substituted spicy Italian sausage for the ground beef -- husband loved it! (He did pick out the cabbage but oh well.) It freezes well too, for those of us with smaller families.
May 12, 2016
Delicious! So easy to put together. Made it exactly as printed, with the exception of the cabbage. Did not have any on hand, so substituted spinach. This was so good and even better the next day for lunch. Thank You!
Mar 6, 2016
It was good but a bit lacking in the seasoning department. I used ground turkey rather than beef since that's what I had on hand. I would make again but add some more seasonings!