Italian Pasta Sauce
As a special part of their wedding buffet, my daughter Kris' husband fixed a big batch of this thick flavorful pasta sauce. The recipe was brought by his grandmother from Italy 80 years ago. —Judy Braun, Juneau, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, optional
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef in two batches over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. Cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender.
- Return the beef and sausage to the pan. Add the next nine ingredients, including allspice if desired, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until desired thickness is reached, stirring occasionally. Serve over pasta.Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 284 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 821mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Italian Pasta Sauce in Down the Aisle Country-Style
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.