Italian Pasta Sauce
As a special part of their wedding buffet, my daughter Kris' husband fixed a big batch of this thick flavorful pasta sauce. The recipe was brought by his grandmother from Italy more than 80 years ago. —Judy Braun, Juneau, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, optional
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef in 2 batches over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. Cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender.
- Return the beef and sausage to the pan. Add the next 9 ingredients, including allspice if desired, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until sauce reaches desired thickness, stirring occasionally, 2-3 hours. Serve over pasta.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Add a little broth or water if necessary.