Meat Sauce for Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, green pepper, onion, carrots, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until bubbly. Serve with spaghetti. Freeze option: Do not cook spaghetti. Freeze meat sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Place sauce in a large skillet; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve over spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 286 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 767mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Jul 6, 2017
This was good, but I probably wont make again. To be fair, my kids strongly prefer meatballs, so they are tough critics. My husband and liked this, but prefer TOH Three-Meat spaghetti sauce recipe. I liked the slow cooker convenience and that it made enough for at least two meals for our family of four. It reheats well and is a solid recipe, despite not being our top sauce.
Jan 17, 2017
Great recipe! I use 1 lb ground turkey and 1 lb hot turkey Italian sausage instead of beef. Also, instead of water, I use red wine. This is our favorite recipe for spaghetti with meat sauce. :)
Nov 3, 2016
Very good... My family loved it and very convenient to have ready after a long day of work. Will definitely make again.
Aug 31, 2015
Jul 10, 2015
Very good...the family loved it. I added a tad more sugar to cut the tomato acid, but that's it and that was just to suite a couple sensitive tummies :)
Oct 26, 2013
Mar 5, 2013
Very good. No need to change this recipe. Will definetely make it again. The family loved it.
Jul 17, 2012
This was my last attempt to make spaghetti sauce and I'm glad I tried this because this recipe is very good. So nice and thick and sticks to the spaghetti. Yes, it does make a lot but that's ok as we like the leftovers. I know we will be making this again and the only thing I would add would be some crushed red pepper for a little more hotness.
Jul 10, 2012
The whole family asked for this one a second time. Easy too.
Feb 14, 2012
Delicious! Makes a lot, which is great because we love leftovers!~ Theresa
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.