Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups hot cooked spaghetti
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the celery, onion, green pepper and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender and water is reduced.
- Crumble sausage over vegetable mixture; cook until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper and remaining water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Aug 6, 2013
Very, very tasty. Makes a lot. Wondering if I am able to can it.
Feb 8, 2013
This sauce is delicious and makes a ton; I divide it and freeze half. I use spicy Italian turkey sausage, which makes it very flavorful, plus I add sliced mushrooms. Yum!
Sep 13, 2012
Best spaghetti sauce I have ever tasted made with turkey
Nov 10, 2010
LOVE this recipe! I tweaked it a bit with added seasonings and with the tomato sauce I use 2 - 28 oz crushed tomatoes instead of the diced......love it in lasagna!
Feb 16, 2009
This sauce is delicious! Absolutely worth making.
Sep 21, 2008
This sauce is okay; it lacked in flavor somewhat. I did leave out the celery because my boyfriend hates it.