Slow-Cooked Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 6 cups chopped rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 2 cups halved unsweetened strawberries
- Angel food cake, pound cake or vanilla ice cream
- Place rhubarb in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine sugar, orange zest and ginger; sprinkle over rhubarb. Add cinnamon stick and grape juice. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until rhubarb is tender.
- Stir in strawberries; cook 1 hour longer. Discard cinnamon stick. Serve with cake or ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 115 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.
Jul 4, 2018
I omitted the strawberries, added an extra cup of rhubarb, and substituted orange juice for the grape juice. I served it with angel food cake and whipped cream. It was well received. Leftovers were served with tapioca pudding and whipped cream. I sure it would be good with rice pudding or bread pudding as well.
Apr 25, 2017
Haven't made it yet but will, what can I substitute for the Grape Juice, don't want to buy a bottle for 1/2 cp.
May 28, 2011
I was able to have desert ready for company after church on Sunday by making a shortcake the day before and serving this sauce over it. It was delicious! I should have shut the crock pot off a little while before serving it so the sauce would have time to cool. But that was my fault, not the recipes!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.