Mushroom Pasta Sauce
When Louise Graybiel is out of spaghetti sauce and doesn't have time to make it from scratch, she relies on this easy recipe that makes the most of canned items. "It has a sweet taste that kids enjoy," says the Toronto, Ontario cook.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makesabout 7 cups
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (110-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (7 ounces each) pizza sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes; cool. Transfer to freezer bags or containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Heat and serve.
To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Heat and serve.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 249 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2266mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Pasta Sauce in Quick Cooking July/August 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.