Meatball Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Shape beef into 1-in. balls; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine soup, milk and water; bring to a boil. Add Italian seasoning, onion, garlic, barley, macaroni and rice. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown meatballs in a nonstick skillet until no longer pink. Stir carrot into soup; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meatballs to soup. Stir in mushrooms and Parmesan cheese; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 234 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Dec 3, 2015
This delicious soup is a cold-weather favorite of mine - I love the variety in every sumptuous bite!
Feb 1, 2013
This is one of my favorites but I use EITHER rice or macaroni. Not both since the first time.
Oct 2, 2011
Since I make and freeze in individual portions, i'd leave out the rice and macaroni next time. They absorb all the liquid and make it too thick. I increased the garlic and used fresh mushrooms which I quicly sauted first and frozen pre-cooked meatballs.
Sep 22, 2011
This was good. I used ground turkey & Healthy Request cream of mushroom which has no MSG (regular does). I found the quick barley for the first time in 10 years of making this recipe at Walmart. Also I used the refrigerated minced garlic & think it gives better flavor. It was easy to eat with new braces & comforting. I didn't make meatballs-just cooked the ground meat and I loved it. I didn't have Parmesan cheese & it was still pretty good. Using lower sodium soup, I just add a little sprinkle of salt at the end & it would be a satisfying meal with a savory bread and wine.
Jul 12, 2011
This is a very delicious, very rich soup! Yum.
Jun 4, 2011
my daughter and I love this recipe! It is a "staple" in our kitchen...however she is a vegetarian so I just leave the meatballs out of hers and we also don't put the carrots in it only b/c that isn't something we keep on a regular basis. Awesome soup! She brags on it all the time!
Nov 7, 2010
This soup is delicious. Great texture and flavor. I would recommend it to those who love a good hearty soup.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.