Mushroom & Broccoli Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. Peel and chop stalks.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; remove from pan.
- In same pan, combine broccoli stalks, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are softened, 25-30 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in a blender; return to pan. Stir in florets and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until broccoli is tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 69 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Aug 28, 2019
I will note that I'm allergic to soy products, so I didn't put soy sauce in when I made it. This was a great base recipe to make a stellar broccoli mushroom soup. It was a bit bland for me personally, so I ended up doubling the garlic amount and adding a TON of pepper, dill, and rosemary. When I make it again I'll probably replace half of the water with vegetable broth and really go heavy on the spices. I added about 1/4 cup red bell pepper to the broccoli stalks and other broth-fillers that get blended I think it added good flavor without adding spice.