Mushroom Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes4 servings (about 1-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Trim mushroom stems level with the caps; finely chop stems and thinly slice caps.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; add mushrooms and onions. Cook and stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Blend in flour; add broth, salt if desired, and pepper. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat. Add rice and bay leaf; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 118 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 26mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Jun 10, 2018
I just made an account so I could say to Johnny... Do you really need someone to write use vegetable broth if you want to make it vegetarian? Well, you're welcome.This soup was good though, I added some celery, a hot pepper and turmeric. And ended up also putting some yogurt in it because it was way too spicy.
May 5, 2018
Mushroom and onion says vegetarian to me. Should have put an alternative to the chicken broth.
Jul 2, 2014
Great soup. Easy to prepare and enough for two dinners for two. A good base for adding meat or fish too.
Jan 22, 2013
Good soup! I used vegetable stock 'cause that's all I had on hand, and then added a very little (1 tsp?) bit of beef bouillion granules. Because of this, I left out the salt. Then, just for the heck of it, I added 1/2 c fat free Half 'n Half that I wanted to use up. It seemed to add a nice little bit of sweetness to the soup. My husband gobbled it up!
Dec 25, 2012
Made as written, adding no salt--doesn't need it. Great starter soup.
Mar 21, 2011
We added one box frozen spinish and some rotiserie chicken. Absolutly awsome! This will be made again and again.