Mushroom Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makesabout 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, cook meat in oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove meat with a slotted spoon; keep warm and set aside.
- Saute onions, carrots and celery in drippings over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in broths, water, barley, salt if desired and pepper.
- Return meat to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until barley and meat are tender. Add parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 13g fat (0 saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Sep 19, 2019
Love this soup,, better next day and freezes well
Sep 12, 2019
Can I make this in a crock pot if so how long do I cook it?
Sep 9, 2019
I tried this for the first time when TOH printed it years ago. It’s my husbands favorite soup, and I’m always asked to share the recipe. Tip- I like to switch up the meat sometimes and use Italian sausage, other times, half beef, half sausage. Love the extra spice and flavor it adds!
Jan 26, 2019
Again, the nutrition values are way off. 65 mg of sodium per serving? With 2 cans of broth? Zero grams of fiber?
Feb 24, 2016
No one was impressed with this soup. It was pretty bland. The best part of the meal was the sourdough bread I made to go along with it. Yes, It was easy to make and no one disliked it - but I'll be taking it out of my recipe box and looking for a different beef/barley combo. I cook for 6 and there was none left. I would never expect this to serve 11 as a main meal.
Feb 13, 2015
Sep 30, 2014
Easy to make. My kids loved it!
Jan 19, 2014
A quick, hearty, easy soup that makes a great meal when you add a salad and some crusty bread. Perfect when you want something warm and filling.
Mar 11, 2012
This is so good and real easy to make.
Jan 23, 2012
Eat fresh or the barley absorbs too much juice.