Deb’s Mushroom & Barley Soup
Nothing is more comforting than coming home to this rich soup! I prepare the ingredients the night before and start the slow cooker on my way out the door. —Debra Kamerman, New York, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Place first nine ingredients and 2-1/2 teaspoons salt in a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, mix egg and remaining salt. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls; drop gently into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables and barley are tender, 6-8 hours.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 180 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 967mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Deb's Mushroom and Barley Soup in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.