Mushroom Barley Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- In a small skillet, saute barley and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in the mushrooms, almonds, soup mix and parsley. Add 3 cups broth.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until barley is tender, adding more broth if needed.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 238 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 21, 2017
Super yummy! Added cooked chicken breasts for complete meal. Thanks melba Cleveland! Gave you 5 stars, but only 4stars appear.
Oct 2, 2015
Excellent !!! I added minced garlic, also fried the mushrooms till all the liquid was reduced , then chopped and fried 3 slices of bacon till crisp, added to casserole. Sonya K.
Feb 6, 2015
This was so good!!! Will definitely be making again, although next time I may cut back on the amount of almonds. Definitely a keeper!
Jan 18, 2015
This is real good. The mushrooms give it a nice beefy flavor.
Feb 11, 2011
Great alternative for a side dish like rice pilaf. It's a keeper, but beware: being high in fiber, it caused excess gas for both me and my husband.
Oct 31, 2010
I made this recipe for a party/pot luck gathering recently. It was a huge hit with barely enough leftovers! One person who doesn't even like mushrooms loved this dish and asked for the recipe. Quick, easy, healthy, and inexpensive to make -- this recipe is awesome!