Barley Broccoli Soup
This original recipe of mine was a winner in a barley soup contest. Barley makes it hearty and nutritious - and it's a good way to use broccoli and asparagus from your garden. I'm a member of Dairy Women of North Dakota and enjoy creating and collecting recipes in which I can use our farm's products. Along with our dairy operation, husband Ronald and I and our two sons grow barley, wheat, corn, alfalfa and soybeans.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 3 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 cups fresh or frozen chopped broccoli or asparagus, cooked and drained
- 4 cups milk
- 5 slices American cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- In a saucepan, bring water, bouillon and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until barley is tender and nearly all liquid is absorbed. Stir often but do not drain. Add broccoli or asparagus. Stir in milk, cheese, nutmeg and pepper. Add bacon if desired. Heat through, stirring often, until soup is hot and cheese is melted.