White Bean ‘N’ Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1-1/2 cups dried great northern beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add enough water to cover beans by 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil. Add the broth, water, beans, carrots, red peppers, celery, barley, 1/4 cup parsley, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 193 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 831mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 9g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 26, 2014
Excellent! We made it vegetarian, seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt and regular salt.
May 12, 2012
This is a great soup recipe. Loved the addition of barely.
Nov 4, 2010
Yummy and hearty. Next time we'll use fewer beans and more barley, just a personal preference. We used fat free/reduced sodium chicken broth.
Nov 18, 2008
Yes, this is very good tasting. I added some corn and extra barley. perfet for a chilly day as we have here in Michigan.:) Thank you
Jan 27, 2008
My mom and I tried this recipe and it is wonderful!! It is great this way but she has also added chicken to the mix and it is also very tasty and a bit more filling! Yummy!
Jan 18, 2008
This recipe is great and very flavorful.