White Bean ‘N’ Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1-1/2 cups dried great northern beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add enough water to cover beans by 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil. Add the broth, water, beans, carrots, red peppers, celery, barley, 1/4 cup parsley, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 193 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 831mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 9g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Dec 26, 2014
Excellent! We made it vegetarian, seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt and regular salt.
May 12, 2012
This is a great soup recipe. Loved the addition of barely.
Nov 4, 2010
Yummy and hearty. Next time we'll use fewer beans and more barley, just a personal preference. We used fat free/reduced sodium chicken broth.
Nov 18, 2008
Yes, this is very good tasting. I added some corn and extra barley. perfet for a chilly day as we have here in Michigan.:) Thank you
Jan 27, 2008
My mom and I tried this recipe and it is wonderful!! It is great this way but she has also added chicken to the mix and it is also very tasty and a bit more filling! Yummy!
Jan 18, 2008
This recipe is great and very flavorful.