Turkey-White Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes in puree, cut up
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add rosemary and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the beans, spinach and turkey; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Serve with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 233 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 893mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 20g protein.
Aug 23, 2015
I didn't have any turkey or spinach so used 8 oz. of chicken breast diced and sauteed and Brussels sprouts, chopped, and sliced carrots rather than shredded. I used powdered chicken bouillon instead of the broth. I think more veggies could be used, zucchini or yellow squash as well as the spinach. I used great northern beans instead of kidney or cannelloni beans.. This is a very forgiving recipe. You can used anything you have on hand. It was really delicious.
Jul 21, 2010
The flavor of this soup is AMAZING. Usually soups are too bland for me. I pretty much followed the directions. I subbed two 14oz cans of petite diced tomatoes and I was a bit shy on turkey so I added about 1c of chicken. To save time I used my food processor and chopped 2c of baby carrots and then I ran my spinach through the food processor too. This made the spinach really small and my husband thought it was herbs. :-) Definitely a keeper and even better the next day.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.